Friday, February 6, 2009

Walmart

my first visit to Walmart, I had a precise idea, drive on route 6 till you find it. My mission to buy patches to repair my raincoat I teared falling on ice about a week ago. I thought it would be so big I would not miss it and instead I missed it. After about half an hour driving southwest, the third Dunkin' Donuts, a Burger King and one McDonald, I made an U-turn and then I found it, it is relatively close to where I live. It must not be a giant one, I would say the size of a big European one, like a Carrefour in France. This is just an overview, I was tired after swimming and searching, and did not want to be too analytical.
Anyway just right after the entrance there is a Subway, which is a cheap version of fast food, then starts the clothing section. basically you have to put together, a large clothing supermarket, with a children toys shop, a pharmacy, a warehouse of house equipment, car and other toys for men and women, a gardening section, the food area is small, just to get together a quick meal. Prices are low, but now I do not remember them, I had a look in the men section. There are very few long socks, the majority of more elegant socks seems to be just at calf level. You find nylon socks for men, I remember I first saw them in Spain, they have them here too, knee-lenght only blue one made in china. The underpants section is dominated by boxers, for about 70 % then very large slip high on the waist. Funny colours on offer, red or bright blue, as if superman had gone schizophrenic.
I could not resist looking if the weapon section was present, the one that shocked European public opinion. Near the fishing section there is a section with some toy guns, in the section nearby three male adolescents with their hood on are talking in a section nearby, a little shiver runs on my back, a father and a son are nearby, the son, about 13 years old is looking at gun's padded covers, the father seems a little embarrassed at the son's enthusiasm. I peek further, there are some kit for simple guns, no serious weapon, nothing like in Micheal Moore, no automatic guns. I am thinking of heading away when a male shop-assistant asks me if I am finding what I was looking for... I answer that actually I am looking for those patches to be used instead of sewing, near the sewing machine maybe? he looks at me strangely, the combination of question and accent must be at least puzzling but possibly self annulling . I tour another while, find the sewing machines, mission accomplished. I can go back home.

1 comment:

  1. Wall mart was a tremendous experience for me too. Big size items everywhere gave me the impression of being in the land of the giants. After first impressions, I was bored and depressed. Glad you survived it !!!!!! Cheers Davide.

    ReplyDelete