Friday, February 20, 2009

car odissey part 1 searching

These last days I have spend each afternoon after 4 in searching for the right car, but basically my budget was quite low. A number of dealers, the clean one with large stores along major routes dismissed me. They had hundreds of cars out there, but when I said that I was looking for something around the three thousands they looked up and then said that they did not have anything, or pointed to something around 4000. I reckoned I should explore the smaller dealer. Looking online I found that there were about 4 of them in Plainville, where I passed my driving course. I visited them, with no great results. The general answer was, we do not have that much, one asked me if I wanted a SUV, but I denied the possibility. Another, after listening to my story told me that it was not worth, then offered something at 1500, "but it runs funnily". They all told me to come back as they get new cars every day. "By the end of the week we have new cars coming" thus I thought that by the end of this week I might be able to get one. In the middle of all this, I had to think about road service. The AAA is the most famous US road service, there is a Branch just few miles down route 10 in a plaza, inside is full of gadgets, there is a shop, a road service section and an insurance area. The people at the road service are very nice, a lady explain me how to join and what the service are. Then it hits me. I am a member of the Italian Automobile Club ACI. I take my card out. There is a logo in it, "Show your card" it says. And it functions. I do not need new coverage, I am covered by my Italian club, Yuppieeee!!!!
Another dealer, this is a family one. Funny, familiar accent. They do not have anything, come back at the end , we are off to an auction and will bring more cars. We have only a Mitsubishi. I look at it, and walk away unconvinced. Yesterday, Thursday, I start the end of the week tour. Nothing has arrived for my price range. mmmmm, damn!!! Driving by I look at the Mitsubishi again. It is an Eclipse, sort of sport-looking, red. I stop and get its VIN. The Vehicle Identification Number allows you to access all records on a single vehicle. From revision, to accidents, to owners etc to mileage etc. You can access these information online by paying a small fee (25 $) to private companies. I check, the car is clean. In the meantime a thought has formed in my mind. This may not be a 1970s Dodge Challenger, the one I would dream of now, and which I could not afford anyway, but it is exactly

the car I wanted when I was 1 years old age

my mother used to tell this story: 1 year old, I get a present, a red sporty toy car, one of those you push with one hand. I start to cry desperately because, allegedly I wanted to get in. It took few years (many) but I am finally able to do it.
The US may not be the land of opportunities they used to be, but is still America the land where dream, especially children ones, can be fullfilled!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment