Tuesday, February 24, 2009

a car odissey part 3, getting it, driving it

Last post I forgot to mention an important moment, getting the plates. Here, I mean in the US, plates do not belong to cars, but rather to people, thus you can have your plates and attach them to your cars, and when you change car you can shift the plates to your new vehicle. This of course change in different specific situations. As I never possessed a vehicle before in CT, I got new plates, which I will have to send back in an envelope to DMV CT when I will sell the car. When I saw my plates it was a moment of emotions, I really got a car. Now paying it. Wiring the money from italy takes too a week. Thus, thanks to the sound advice of a friend back in Italy, I call my bank and I have the limit on my credit card increased. However that was not sufficient because the kosovar dealers do not have a credit card machine..... This I could not believe, in the US! Another stereotype broken. So we go together to their bank where they take two thousands out of my credit card, the rest through the bancomat card in two days, I discovered that there are drive in Bank tellers, and why should I be so surprised?- the last few missing dollars I give them in euros. Finally I can get inside my car.
Inside is low, the automatic shift is well functioning, from the first to the second is a pleasure. The car is overall quite basic, no cruise control, no fancy stuff, a good sound of the autoradio that reads cds. Suspensions (springs?) are not exactly soft, but the car has 121000 miles, and one should not expect too much. Engine runs well. Breaks break.
First drive is to New Haven, for a dinner to colleagues. With 20 dollars I fill the tank. Drives fine.

1 comment:

  1. Impressive. There are plenty of Americans who would not have navigated the process so easily (or with anywhere near as much panache).

    ReplyDelete