Friday, February 13, 2009

DMV

today I went to pass the knowledge test for the driving licence; the nearer DMV, Department of Motor Vehicles, is in New Britain , 10 minutes by car from Farmington, they open at 8 I was there at 7 45, with a little crowd of 20 people. Yesterday it was closed all day for the anticipation of some sort of public holiday, Washington Birthday that is next Monday (the third of February), thus I am entitled to presume that today there is a bit more people than the usual. It is a fine morning but a chill wind is blowing and everybody is shivering. There is not a cue in the English sense of the term but people gather in a sort of sequential way respecting more or less their position. The lady near me interrupts her conversation with her friend with a series of "cogno, cogno cogno, cogno..." each time that a chilly gust of wind caresses our backs. At 8 02 the building opens, the crowd has in the meantime grown to the hundredth. Get the number and wait for it on the screen. As proofs of residence I've got two netflix envelope and one from the driving school. They are accepted. My requests remains for a while there, checking the immigration status, they explain me, finally after about 1 hour I get called and brought before the computer, 25 question I am allowed 5 mistakes. Difficult to fail. Next riddle to be solved... find a car to pass the driving test ....

No comments:

Post a Comment