Thursday, January 15, 2009

life's routines or , the joy of the locker

as a friend made me notice, I managed in just two weeks to tranfer some basic elements of my life in the new location, a library, movies, a swimming pool, in two weeks, I have not managed to make Hummus yet ( it is hard without a kitchen mixer or whatever is called) but I am eating beans and bleuberries, as in florence. Isn't this a little sad? What is the point of travelling if you keep doing the same things? Because of the little differences? maybe. is that so that by repeating the known that we discover the unknown? or at least the new? the unexpected? or even the desired?

This is Payne Gym building, the central sport facility of Yale University, I joined on Monday and since then I've being going to swim every day. The building is gothic but it was built in the 1930s. It hosts many sports facilities, among which 2 or 3 swimming pools. The one I go is a 5 lane olimpic lenght one at the 3rd floor. The third floor! a full size swimming pool?!! and somebody told me that there is another one on the 5 th floor. This is really grandeur!! Imagine the structural infrastructure of the building to sustain that weight.

The Yale Center for British Art got me a deal, and, oh wonders of american administration I got a locker with my one month entrance fee! A LOCKER, quintessential icon of adolescentials' american dream. Like Bart and Lisa I have a locker! I am actually more happy about possessing a locker at the swimming pool that having a flat!! I can leave my swimming gear sitting there. The lock is number operated with a turning wheel, like the one that safes have in movies, and from time to time you can actually hear the "tick" when you turn it and it hits the right number. They've cut the pool in two, so you have to swim in less than half the lenght. But one get used to it, as to the water that is not warm.
There is a scale, old fashioned style one, with the large round wheel-shaped display in front of you, and the hand that turns.... I weight 175 pounds, who knows how much is that in kg, a little too much, that I know.

2 comments:

  1. quante vasche? indovina chi sono che figata la piscina così
    io sempre alla costoli, che tristezza sotteraneo
    la biondina non viene più.. o rattristata ha cambiato piscina o turno
    in compenso i vecchi cerotti sul fondo sono al loro posto e nessuno li rimuove
    la costoli è sempre più "diaccia" senza di te

    ReplyDelete
  2. La biondina non veniva più già a dicembre. Le vasche corte non si riescono a contare, faccio un ora, 40 min di stile libero e 20 di altro. L'acqua è più fredda che alla costoli. Ma tu non dovevi cambiare piscina?

    ReplyDelete