Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The rocking chair, south fifth day


The way from New Orleans to wetern Louisiana and then into Texas is for the most part a huge swamp area. You basically travel on water. Actually very first thing in the morning I clean the car, away with the dirt left over from the snowy day on the East, here we start gettting really West.

The I 10 follows, at a certain distance the river Mississipi and finally crosses it. Then the long drive on the swamp towards Texas. I stop at a welcome center and I see it. The icon of the South, The Rocking Chair, they stand there as an emblem, I cannot resist sitting. Actually this reminds me of a verb in sicilian dialect, one of those words that havce crossed over to Italian, "annacare" usually usued in the reflexive "annacarsi", the translation would be actually "rocking oneself". Funny how the connotations of Southern lifestile has similarities accross the ocean.



The temperature has risen and I need my air conditioning on to keep driving. I do not have trousers for this weather, I will need to stop by and get one pairs of jeans or something.





This morning, day sixth, I wake up in Junction, check the engine oil, and here I am as I write this. The sky is clouded and the wind, a costant presence is fresh.


1 comment:

  1. gorgeous!!
    I've always wanted to sleep in one of those anonimous motels, by the drive way...
    pure cinema and adventure:hiding secret lovers,outlaws and the endless road ahead
    funny also your selfportrait,coffee,car and internet,hahaha a sort of burgueois picture-portable sitting-room, even when on the run,hahaha
    drive safe
    much love
    ana

    ReplyDelete