Thursday, March 12, 2009

Campo di Marte forever

And I got myself a new place to work. For those of you who do not know it is The Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens. It is the result of railway fortune, a library specializing in british and and american history, an art collection and a botanical garden. In recent years it has developed a policy of opening more to the public and there are tourists and schools all day coming to visit the art galleries and the botanical gardens. I am impressed by the number of asian looking people and pupils. A first sign, I wonder, of being on the pacific coast?


Our everyday schedule is regulated by two bells, the 11 45 am bell, when librarians’ lunch break starts, and the 4 45 pm when the day ends. It is very funny to see at 11 45, after the bell rings, scholars lining up, as if they were pupils back at elementary school, to hand back their precious rare books and prepare also for their lunch.

As all readers, I have access to the botanical gardens and the relaxing strolls you can take over there, I have yet to visit the gardens and the art galleries.

There is a cafeteria over the gardens. I am writing this note sitting at one of the tables outside.


My new swimming pool closes at 7 pm thus it seems that right after work I will head straight for the water.

Campo di Marte, a destiny?

Yesterday I went to see the room I am going to have from next week, It is in Altalena, north east area of LA right under the mountains at the end of the Valley. A residential suburban area. I felt like, oh this is the Los Angeles campo di marte. Residential, under the hills, quiet. I am not sure I am totally happy about this. Apart from that the place is very nice, I get access to a kitchen and a portion of garden, I can park my davidmobile in the driveway. Opposite the house there is a golf course. As a movie setting, it looks more like Desperate Housewives than Mulholland Drive.

2 comments:

  1. conosci quel film di Burt Lancaster (in spagnolo, "El Nadador") nella quale nuota in tutte le piscine del suo quartiere borghese in California dei 60's?
    ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. the swimmer, no, mai visto, ma lo aggiungo alla mia netflix list. e grazie per il trailer. A presto.

    ReplyDelete