Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Burger in Austin, fifth day, one

Writing as i wait for my burger to arrive. 500 miles, I have stopped in Austin to have a look at the city and have a burger in Texas, seems to be the right thing. Pineapple burger, finger crossed. The I-10 is infinite, when you enter Texas, it says 880 miles, probably to El Paso. Sounded dull to drive all day on it. When I got to Houston I decided to make a detour, if one has to drive all day, wants also to get away from the motorway, thus I turned to Route 290 that takes to Austin, and later rejoins the I-10: it was the right decision, the road is pleasant and you get to see ranches, and cattle, and some sort of life. The most picturesque was a little village called Carmine, one could imagine nice stories from this typical Neapolitan first name. It was just few houses and small shops, not in very good shapes,on both sides of the road. I need to stop in one of those places one of these days.
If Houston is incredible because you see the city scape from something like 40 miles away, arriving in Austin from the 290 you first get to a large plain, that extends as far as you can see, but the city is actually not in sight, it is only when you take a speedway ramp that seems like you are at the Roller Coaster and when you are up and turning you see the city. Downtown is lively and studentish, the architecture is somehow majestuose, with the capital building standing at the end of Congress street.
Here is my burger, write to you later, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment