Friday, April 3, 2009

the magic lives on

and why should I hide it? my dear friends, today I have been with my hearth low, and my stomach tight, the feeling to have passed the middle of this journey is not an easy one. A kind friend told me, you have reached Paradise without Virgil and Beatrice. Well, she might be a little generous, however, she cannot be completely wrong since I have journeyed all the way to the city of Angels, I figure I have reached paradise.... Anyway, folks, even if I am aware that life is all ups and downs, the idea to go back to purgatory in july is not too appealing.
Out of all this, tonight I headed for a historic cinema on hollywood bld, the egyptian theatre I was told to go, has been renovated very well and it is also called the American Cinemateque, today opening night of a Noir Festival.


As I was strolling along Hollywood Bld. just looking at the starts on the walkway with the names of actors directors etc, I was already feeling better.

Here is Von Stronheim one, with whom I share some fondamental peculiarities. Baldness.
The cinema theatre large and technological, half filled, many aficionados, about 40% with incredible quantity of pop corns on their laps, even the bald-headed eye-glassed grey-chothed slight-overweight gay couple near me.
A guy from the festival introduces the evening, it's the eleventh year of the festival, we get to see very rare movies from the archives, they are not in DVD these movies. Tonight a hommage Jane Greer with two movies. Then the writer of a book on noir movies steps in, and starts to talk about the actress and how great she was when he went to interview her on her house just off the 405, opposite to the Getty. And keeps talking, very LA. I am thinking am I really listening to this, here?
notes on the audience behaviour, they respond with cheers at names or facts to the speaker's word, then as the movies starts they clap their hands, as the stars names appeared they again clapped their hands, before diving them again in popcorns.
As the two movies unroll, Out of the Past, a classic with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas, and The Company She Keeps, I see they are both set in california and Los Angeles. I feel the magic is still on.

No comments:

Post a Comment