Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Eurogay swimsuit

I have already introduced the problem of finding a swimsuit in the US in various entries, I had various conversations and I learnt that among males the swimsuit commonly used in Europe are called Eurogay swimsuit, in an interesting formula that mixes the idea that those suits are for gays and that in Europe they are common. Oblivious of this, days later, I finally followed the advice of various people and head for a BIG FIVE, a sport megastore few miles east on Colorado, which is the main avenue that traverses Pasadena west to east. Fortunately there is a little section with proper swimsuit for swimming and not the huge things that Americans wear. As I look at the three models available I doubt if I should get a 32 or a 34 (do not try to convert it as measure, this is a measurement of inches at waist), the pants I am wearing are a 33, thus I ask a shop assistant about his opinion, this black tall young guy look at me with open unsure eyes that are saying "are you hitting on me?" I remember about the Eurogay thing and I try to straighten up my question. My accent clearly say I am European, it doesn't say whether I am gay. The guy say something and walks away quickly and I get to the cash counter.

Gay approaches in the US
By the way, this is also a good place to tell about the gay-approach-phrase in the US among the cultivated and not. The first time I was approached with this was in the male bathroom of a distinguished library, "is everything all right" this guy says as he get in and sees me. I did not understand and answered "yes it is" and look at him with a face asking "what kind of question is this anyway". The second time was at a party, the usual group conversing for a while, when the group split up, this guy on my left approaches me putting his hand on my shoulder and asks "are you all right?" at this point I realize what the previous anecdote was about and I answered "I am all right, thank you" and he took off his hand from my shoulder.

1 comment:

  1. Direi che EUROGAY me lo segno...

    ciao e non spardare picciuli a matula!

    ReplyDelete