Friday, June 26, 2009

day 6, south and then north again
















Last night I slept, south of Chicago, to avoid being stuck in the morning traffic, the motel was in a place with a funny name on the I 65 that will take me down to Indianapolis where I will rejoin the I 70 that will take me to Columbus where I have a meeting for lunch with N a long time friend of mine. I am in the state of Indiana, and the landscape continue to be dominated by cornfield and by another plant which I am not able to identify. However in relation to Colorado where this central flatness begun, the number of trees has continued to increase, and so has the presence of water. When on the 70 I enter in Ohio, the landscape more or less remain the same. The skyline of Columbus is the usual series of skyscrapers. My lunch appointment is in a neighborhood north east of downtown, a sort of upscale suburban village with restaurants and shops. For the first time I eat at the Cheesecake factory a well known chain of restaurants, renown for their cheesecake that I forget to taste, the salad was not bad.
After lunch there is a decision to take, which way to the east coast, I have three option , the I 70 which will continue east to NY the I-80 which will proceed 50 miles north and pass north of NY, or the I 90 that will take me to Boston. Checking my mail I find out that a pamphlet I wanted to read is waiting for me in a library in Cambridge Massachusset. Thus the decision is taken: after traveling south from Chicago to get to Columbus, I will go back north to get to the 90. As I drive in the evening light, a noise is becoming evident, it comes from the front. Looking at the map I set my mind in sleeping on the lake Erie. It should be nice to touch the water of the Great Lakes. There is a village on the map, it is called Geneva, and has its little seaside resort, Geneva on the lake. I think it is perfect, last summer I passed on my motorbike trip to france and switzerland near the lake of Geneva, this summer I sleep in Geneva on the Lake. I should be there around sunset. As I leave the 90 to get to the coast I look at the houses, many are not well maintained, crisis? Decadence, or just the local culture. I missed the sunset on the lake just for minutes. Geneva on the Lake turns out to be a summer resort with gambling and family attractions, many bars and restaurants are biker friendly. I choose the sleaziest one, run by an Italoamerican from Campobasso.

No comments:

Post a Comment