Thursday, June 25, 2009

Colorado, Day 3
















Entering Colorado is also leaving the desert, the land of rivers and water and forest. A completely different environment from either the mixed environment of Utah and the deserts. As I am crossing the river Colorado leaving Utah I cannot but think how crazy It is that Los Angeles gets its water from this river, two days away from the metropolis. Rather extreme. I leave the I-70 for route 50 which takes in a loop south and east, following the river Gunnison. It is a long detour but it will grant quite remarkable sceneries. The Black Canyon is just north of the 50 and it is a National Park. The view from the top, at the visitor center is one to be remembered, the river flows quite richly down about 200 meters or more. The comparison with the Gran Canyon which I visited 4 months ago is impossible, like comparing an island to a continent. Continuing on the 50 and following the Gunnison one encounters the Blue Mesa Reservoir, an artificial lake. At the junction with the 285, turning north towards Denver, the road starts to climb. Patches of snow covers the trees, the top of the mountains are free of trees, I wonder how high are we getting… When I get to the pass I am unprepared it is at 9346 feet, serious altitude, but one of the lowest passes in this area. This is the Grand Divide, that sets the US’ rivers east or west bound. Stopping in a fancy place near Fairplay called Coyote Cantina full of Americana hanging from the ceiling, a full motorcycle and a statue of a Viking warrior among the most remarkable item. Over a door hangs a chain of beer cans, called the redneck doorbeads.
In the evening driving to Denver I stop at a motel in West Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment