Tuesday, July 7, 2009

on the way to JFK

At 6 45 in the morning I am all ready and waiting for the taxi that will take me to Hartoford Union Station. Here I am, a week ago, as I traveled cross country, I had a car full of stuff, finally I managed to reduce everything to the original volume with which I had landed 6 months ago. It is impressive.
Hartford is one of the poorest cities in the US, it would be difficult to guess it from the skyscrapers that populate the downtown area. The Amtrak train station, that sits above the bus station from where I took the bus to Boston just few days ago. The place is in decay, there is only one track serving running on wooden laid track. Once this was a three platforms train station with en extra fourth track running on the outside. Now the main platform is not used and only what once was platform 2 is the only one where trains runs. As it should in a moment like this, it rains, lightly. One of the reason I chose to take the train on my way to the airport was also to try the Amtrak train, on my way up, in January I had run on Metro North, Amtrak is the national company that runs across country. When the two wagons plus the locomotive approach, I feel like sadness, this is after all the line that runs from New York to Boston, and all that is running is a couple of wagons. Nothing compared to what runs on the highways. Inside seats are equipped with sockets and you can comfortably run you laptop on the fold up table. No wireless though.

1 comment:

  1. Sper che il viaggio si andato bene e aspetto tue notizie, un abbraccio

    Giusi

    ReplyDelete