Thursday, July 2, 2009

Car finale...con brio

so, after the cross country car adventure one way and back, I get the car insurance adventure. Complete experience, till the end.
On monday evening the accident, the phone calls. Tuesday afternoon the appraisal guy that works for the insurance company of the car that hit me comes round to have a look at the car. He has italian origin, from Puglia. He explains me that he is just collecting data and pictures and that he will do an estimate when back to his office. Subsequentely I drive the car to a car body shop, one that has been recommended by one of the librarians. He looks at the car and predicts what may happens. The car is too damaged for a repair. Even if it is just the body it is not worth repairing it. The insurance is going to declare it a total loss and "total it". That is it is going to give me money and substantially buy the car from me. This is the best solution, as I will not have to find a buyer for the repaired car.
The following day nothing happened, they let me in a frying pan of preoccupations the entire day, will this be solved in time? will I need to reschedule my flight? At the end of the day I called the insurance, the profecy was fulfilled, it is a total loss and we are going to buy the car from you.
At this point I could start to relax, I would not need to sell it, time and how much? are now my concerns.
Today again was a day of waiting, waiting for receiving the phone call that would tell me the final word, how much and when. In the end, around 3 30 I received the call, they are going to give me 4000 $ and the check is going to be there by tomorrow.
I will need to provide them with the title of ownership duly completed. The plate need to be taken off and sent back to the DMV by post ( one could actually just take them there, however it is closed from thursday to the tuesday for Independence Day).
The incident was on monday afternoon, we have a solution by wednesday, and a check by friday, this is an incredible efficiency for a insurance to give money away.
Celebrate the 4th of july.
My last question to the appraisal guy in our last conversation was, what will happen to the car? The car, he answered, will be sold at an auction, and will be bought either by a salvage yard who will break it down for parts, or will be bought by a rebuilder who will repair and try to sell it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I was just going to say you will probably make more money from the insurance company than you would selling the car, but sounds like you already found this out...bonanza!

    ReplyDelete